An Assessment of the Mental Health of Mastectomized Women in South India

Sukanya B. Menon, C. Jayan

Abstract


Aim: The present study is aimed at understanding the psychiatric morbidity among mastectomized women and in identifying differences in depression, anxiety, psychological impact and well-being based on psychiatric diagnosis. Method: One hundred and sixty breast cancer patients who had undergone mastectomy and were on either on adjuvant therapies or on waiting list were interviewed. The Mini-International Neuropsychiatric Interview (M.I.N.I.) - Plus, Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale, the Impact of Event Scale and the Psychological General Well-Being Schedule were used. Results: Around 68% of patients did not meet psychiatric diagnosis, while the remaining 32% patients were found to have psychiatric morbidity. Of these, 15% diagnosed with adjustment disorders, 13% patients with a major depressive disorder, while 4% patients with anxiety disorders. A significant difference in anxiety, depression, psychological impact and well-being was found among mastectomized women who were grouped on the basis of their psychiatric diagnosis. Conclusion: Psychiatric morbidity is evident in patients. This study reinforces the need for identifying psychiatric disorders among women who are undergoing mastectomy, in order to provide adequate psychological treatment.

Keywords


morbidity, mastectomy, MINI, depression, anxiety

Full Text:

PDF HTML